The outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic has shaken the foundation of work life balance. For the majority, COVID-19 has been a huge shock as it brought huge recession in the economy. People have lost their jobs because of recession; huge mass lay off has happened in various Multinational companies. Many people have been able to understand their life changing along with their work as they shifted to work from home atmosphere. People had been losing balance in their work as well their personal life. Due to this, in bigger companies, multinational companies or even in small firms or industry, there were many employees who got affected and were also losing their talent. Losing talent also called forth the great resignation from work. More females have resigned from the job than the male as stated in a data collected by one of the prestigious newspapers. Due to great resignation, there was loss of talent in bigger and smaller firms where each people made a big or small or even some difference in the economy. Due to huge resignation, there was shockwaves across all industries as it has affected the work culture and productivity has become slower.
How employees can navigate the talent shortage whilst prioritizing worker’s work life balance?
The pandemic has taken a toll in all kinds of industry like multinational companies, IT sectors, schools etc. The learning and imbibing new skills have become slow. Here are the various ways by which employees can look into the building up of talent shortage.
- Mental health support- With the advent of the Coronavirus, uncertainty has attained a huge place. People living in uncertain times have more stress, anxiety and other issues like PTSD, burnout, depression, trauma. Work is more efficient when people are physically as well as mentally fit. Many companies have set up mental health support system to help their workers which will help them in balancing work as well as their life both balanced. As having anxiety, PTSD also impacts the personal life, parenting style, caregiving responsibility etc.
- Empathetic Managers- People require managers who are more empathetic, as their main objective is to support the team, which also includes the mentally sound people or the mental health of the people. The manager should ask sometimes to people about their therapy sessions and appointments. This can to a greater extent help in the development or enhancing of skills for a better work-life balance.
- Healthy Connections through Check-ins- People should connect more and talk about mental health issues. Employees should raise questions and concerns and be a great listener.
- Flexibility at work- Flexibility means not only the timing or the place of the work but also proactive communication keeping in mind the boundaries. Some people might go through childcare problems, family issues, etc. At this time people are advised to be patient with one another and develop understanding with each other.
- Communication- Communication is the key to navigate all the problems and solve it. By communication one can maintain a very healthy work life and personal life balance. Companies with good managers have people with good mental health conditions and more productivity and learning of new skills.
- Training Investment- People should be encouraged to learn more skills and to communicate more. There should be investment done for more necessary skills. There should be budget and investment done for training, mental health employees support group.
- Modify policies- With the modifications in office policies, the place gets updated with latest technology and rules. There should be generous policies for the employees as it can help them have a good time learning skills and enjoy their personal life, which will help people keep balance between their work and personal life.
- Physical well being- Exercise is as important as water in our everyday life. It can help create personal accomplishment and can serve as a bridge for a good work- life balance. There should be some benefits which can be provided to the employees like discounts for gym and exercising to keep the employees physically as well as mentally fit.
- Encourage time off- Encouraging leave and giving hybrid working environment is very beneficial and is instrumental in creating a balance between the work life and personal life. This can lead to less stress in childcare, commuting can be off for some days. Employees should also have their time off and they can go for their family trips, traveling, or for any day off. They can also take break to enjoy their day off and can have their personal life bliss.
- To watch for burnout- during remote work or work from home, it is quite challenging to monitor the employees. Therefore, methods for proper communication should be encouraged, through surveys or the use of applications needed for communication. The companies should survey the staff to look for the loopholes and the area to point out or recognize the problems. This can help in managing stress of the work as the personal life. Hence, confidential mental support can also aid in the long run and can maintain the work life balance.